Masculinity: Pt. 2

After taking a mental age quiz, I was reminded that I hadn't yet written a part 2 for this so, here you go.
I was 38 on it by the way. I have an old(er) spirit.

1. Productivity. One thing that I believe Driscoll was correct about was that it seems unanimous that people who simply consume without creating were looked down upon in most major cultures and religions. A man who is not productive with his time is not using it correctly. Some may say, "but shouldn't I have time of leisure and play?" Yes, I don't think there is anything wrong with this. There is no reason to defend it since it defends itself with its ease. It's always easier to to watch something on YouTube rather than write, to play a game than to learn a piece of music. It is not in our best interest to defend easy things.

2. The respect of femininity. Men realize that the antithesis of the masculine is not the feminine, as if femininity both has definite, drawn out lines and is somehow lesser. Saying things like, "you play ball like a girl," "stop being a little bitch," "you sissy," and so on shouldn't leave the mouths of masculine men. Being strong is not empirically masculine. Being weak is not empirically feminine.

note: Let's mention also homophobic slurs. Regardless of your stance on homosexuality, to assume that you somehow have a greater sense of manhood simply because you were born heterosexual shows extreme ignorance of human nature and cultural and genetic study. I have heard gay jokes from pulpits,  more so-called religious people calling something "gay" or someone a "fag" and knowing sure well what they mean. And the people with this orientation, to have such a high suicide rate, self-harm rate, depression rate, homelessness rate, and to have no care from the "loving" religious. It is one of the few things that will work me into anger to talk about. Please watch your language.

3. Philanthropy. Men care about others to the extent of action. Give time and resources to better your neighbor.

4. Dress code. It's odd to mention this in today's culture where toddlers, teenagers, adults and the elderly all where skinny jeans and band-ts, but I think this is merely a passing cultural fad. Whether we are talking about Native American children who could run around naked but would eventually have to wear clothes or Irish children who would trade in their knickers for pants....or perhaps bigger kickers. The point I'm trying to make is that outward dress was often seen as a symbolic way of moving into adulthood, that there are things to leave behind and things to pick up. Which brings me to my next thing.

5. Leaving things behind. I have no intention of getting into what things need to be left behind. I am, however, quite certain that many young adults have an unhealthy attachment to things of their youth that prevent them from getting further in career, religious maturity, romantic pursuits, etc. To shake it off and say, "that's all fine and well. (fine and well? I was reading Dickens before I wrote this) It's what I want," is merely furthering the issue. What I would recommend is to ask those around you, preferably those who are not like you and do not take the same interests as you, what things you have such strong attachments to and opinions about that it damages your ability to develop more full relationships with them. It may be minimal in which case, "hurrah!" It may be devastating to you, something that will also prove to be of great worth.

That's all I got for now. Perhaps this will be a continuing thing. We shall see.
VIRILE AGITUR

Comments

Popular Posts