Then They Will Know

Click For Song
I read a comment the other day in an Orthodox group I'm in on Facebook. Though I I don't remember it exactly, it was something along the lines of, "Let us not forget that Orthodoxy is something primarily lived, not written and read about.

It got me thinking about the lives of the saints. If a seeker of Orthodoxy asked me what they should read, I would recommend firstly "The Sayings of The Desert Fathers." They can learn the theology through the services. I want them to see what it looks like lived. Orthodoxy is a life lived. It is not the true church because of its doctrine but because of its life. We must live it.

We are people of quotes and inspirational sayings but let us not forget that, "The church is built on the blood of martyrs." Though we may fail (Saint John Climacus says it shouldn't even be surprising when you do) Christ's standard of life does not change. Feeding the poor, visiting the prisoner, clothing the needy, giving drink to the thirsty and visiting the sick are not symbolic. Though how we fulfill these labors of love will certainly be different for all of us, we are all called to all of them.

Like Simon of Cryene, we are called to bear this cross, alongside Christ. We seem to forget that Christ did not carry it alone. This is for our sakes, not His. He says as he did to one monk, "As soon as you turned to me again, you see I was beside you."

This makes it even more grevious when we do not love and live as we should, knowing the Christ is beside us. But it also brings a great sweetness to know that He works with us. In Orthodoxy, we call this, "synergy."

This is our union with God. St. Anthony the Great says, "Our life and our death is with our neighbor. If we gain our brother, we have gained God, but if we scandalize our brother, we have sinned against Christ."

We must both labor in prayer and alms.

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. - Philipppians 2:12-13


Forgive me, a sinner.

Comments

Popular Posts