Obtainable Goals for 2014
Every year many of us do the same thing. New year's resolutions. We have this long list of things we'd hope to do. Often, we are like are people shopping on an empty stomach. We're just hungry for something and we start putting random items in the cart.
I'd like to think that I have better judgment than last year. So with that said, here's my list of obtainable goals for 2014.
1. Learn to draw. I have many long-term goals and about half of those include drawing. Let's go to Pat Catan's, get some pencils and a how-to book. Practicepracticpractice.
2. Learn to knit. Knitting clothing, in my mind, has always been a wonderful way to make something for someone else while doing something that's nice and calm and keeps you occupied. I just hope it's not too difficult.
3. Read a book a month. Many of my friends know that I am an avid reader. What they don't know is that I jump from book to book, reading different sections or sometimes just the beginnings. A book a month is nothing compared to what my schedule was in school, so there really isn't an excuse for this to not be accomplished.
4. Write something, anything, everyday. Even if it's just a sentence. I need to have a set time block to write everyday. Discipline, not desire, is the thing that's keeping me from doing this.
5. Memorize a poem a month. I love poetry. And while my mind is spacing, it is nice to contemplate lines from poems.
6. Learn a new song on guitar every two months. I'm talking about instrumental pieces. That should be plenty of time.
7. Go play live somewhere at least once a month. I've been told that I should and the only thing keeping me back is nervousness. Start off with cover songs. Just go.
These may not seem exciting but they are things that I've always wanted to do. And that's what resolutions should be. They should be a welcoming of things that you truly desire to do, not borrowed ideas in a quest to become someone else.
Unlike previous years, I'm going to print this list out and hang it up above my nightstand and read it every morning as a reminder to just go out and do it. Don't make excuses. Just go.
Happy new years.
What are your resolutions?
I'd like to think that I have better judgment than last year. So with that said, here's my list of obtainable goals for 2014.
1. Learn to draw. I have many long-term goals and about half of those include drawing. Let's go to Pat Catan's, get some pencils and a how-to book. Practicepracticpractice.
2. Learn to knit. Knitting clothing, in my mind, has always been a wonderful way to make something for someone else while doing something that's nice and calm and keeps you occupied. I just hope it's not too difficult.
3. Read a book a month. Many of my friends know that I am an avid reader. What they don't know is that I jump from book to book, reading different sections or sometimes just the beginnings. A book a month is nothing compared to what my schedule was in school, so there really isn't an excuse for this to not be accomplished.
4. Write something, anything, everyday. Even if it's just a sentence. I need to have a set time block to write everyday. Discipline, not desire, is the thing that's keeping me from doing this.
5. Memorize a poem a month. I love poetry. And while my mind is spacing, it is nice to contemplate lines from poems.
6. Learn a new song on guitar every two months. I'm talking about instrumental pieces. That should be plenty of time.
7. Go play live somewhere at least once a month. I've been told that I should and the only thing keeping me back is nervousness. Start off with cover songs. Just go.
These may not seem exciting but they are things that I've always wanted to do. And that's what resolutions should be. They should be a welcoming of things that you truly desire to do, not borrowed ideas in a quest to become someone else.
Unlike previous years, I'm going to print this list out and hang it up above my nightstand and read it every morning as a reminder to just go out and do it. Don't make excuses. Just go.
Happy new years.
What are your resolutions?

That's really good. I actually just restarted a daily calendar for myself on Google. Writing daily is a part of it, along with class/research (when my DINOSAUR PALEOBIOLOGY class starts, and also for learning the Irish language). Goals are good, and I really like yours.
ReplyDelete