Pray For The Barren Tree

In Luke 13:1-9, we read the parable of the fig tree. The owner of a vineyard sees tree that has never borne any fruit and demands it to be cut down. One of the workers of the vineyards says to allow it one more year with more nurturing and see if it will produce anything.

The emphasis, I have found, is typically placed on the tree during the sermons that are preached about this passage. As well they should be. We must be given a warning that when our lives fail to produce anything good, there is most certainly a consequence.

But the other side is that of the one tending to the tree. Why should this not equally be us? Here what St Gregory The Great says: "Nevertheless we must pray for such people. For we are the vinedresser's answer: 'Lord let us alone this year also, until I dig about it.(Parables of the Gospel, Homily XXXI)'"

We are the answer to the call for a tree that bears nothing to be destroyed. Does not Ezekiel, the prophet of old hear God say that he finds no one to pray for Isreal: "And I sought for a man among them who should build up the wall and stand in the breach before me for the land, that I should not destroy it, but I found none. (Ezekiel 22:30)"

In some small way, through the grace of God, we become the living mercy of our Lord. Let us not forget such things. Let us pray for the barren tree. Let us dig around it to see what impedes its bloom. In such a way we follow the example of Christ.


a song that fits: The Locomotive by King Krule

Comments

Popular Posts