Millennials, Travel, St. Anthony and Habits
"Someone asked Abba Anthony, "What must one do in order to please God?" The old man replied, "Pay attention to what I tell you: whoever you may be, always have God before your eyes, whatever you do, do it according to the testimony of the holy Scriptures; in whatever place you live, do not easily leave it. Keep these three precepts and you will be saved."" - 3rd Saying of St. Anthony The Great
There is an obsession with travel among people my age. It has never been easier to get around and has never been cheaper. And the appeal is more than understandable. Earth is a beautiful and rich place filled with amazing things to see and kind people to make friends with. I don't knock travel at all. I used to not like the idea of experiences over material possessions. I thought that it was just another means of consumption. In a way, it can certainly be that way.
What I have been contemplating recently, however, is the way that the internal life of a person is shaped by place. To me, it doesn't necessarily mean the culture or town in which you find yourself, but the space you create for yourself. This seems to be intrinsically tied to where you are physically. It's hard to form, hard to gauge yourself in a constant change and flux.
Many speak of living the life you want and forming the life you want. It seems that we have never stopped to consider that the life we may desire is not necessarily the life that will provide the most for us in all aspects. What does St. Anthony mean when he says to no easily leave the place you find yourself? I think at least it partly means to root yourself in the people, in the land, the life of where you are.
Here is yet another thing that my generation seems to fear, externally imposed commitment. Nothing seems more terrifying than a spouse and children. Better to move in together and buy a dog. Better to not buy a house. Better to not let a place interfere or the less important aspects of holiness and character formation interfere with the idolatry of career worship.
Maybe it's that I am exiting my 20's in 3 years, but I remember a time earlier in my 20's where I would have thought of this idea of place and staying put, of things more important than whatever I considered at the time to be of significance as something "not for me." I would have dismissed this wisdom. I think that's what we often do with what the saints teach. We have all said and thought the common words in one way or another: Everyone isn't supposed to live like that.
Quite true. But everyone can't be the exception either.
a song that fits


Comments
Post a Comment