(Fun)employment

 


Photo by Pierre Bamin on Unsplash

I resigned from my fellowship last month. 

Let me let you in on a secret... Last year, when I couldn't work because of illness, I realized I was much happier not working even though I was in the midst of grueling cancer treatments. In fact, it got me questioning if I'd made a mistake in my choice of career. More on that to come... 

At any rate, I like being a homemaker. It is holy work. Folding laundry, wiping down counters, even scrubbing the toilet -- all these are opportunities for prayer. Do I take full advantage of these opportunities? Certainly not! But I'm slowly learning. 

I don't know what my next steps are. I may explore some telemedicine opportunities. Medical writing also sounds appealing right now. 

I had a lot of time to think and reflect last year. I finally gained the courage to articulate the direction I'd been moving in for several years, ever since I realized I was going to marry C: I want to work from home, I only want to work part-time, and if I am to work for someone/an organization, I want to make sure they respect my commitment to my faith and my family. 

So, for now, I am quite happily unemployed. (Many thanks to my "darling husband," who is allowing me time and space to figure things out and working hard so we stay afloat.)

Comments

Popular Posts