Those who obey belong to God
![]() |
| click here |
"I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine." -John 17:9-10a
This is a perplexing verse to me. Christ here says that he doesn't pray for the world but for those whom the Father has given to Him. And then He says that all who are the Father's are His and all of His are the Father's.
St. Gregory of Nazianzus says this, that "by what He suffered as man, He as the Word and the Counselor persuades Him to be patient. I think this is the meaning of His advocacy (Fourth Theological Oration, p. 187)."
We know from the scriptures that God wants everyone to come to Him: "I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn back, turn back from your evil ways (Ezekiel 33:11)!"
Meanwhile, Christ says thus: "Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven (Matthew 7:21)."
I think the distinction here is between the church and the world. Here Christ is drawing a line between the ekklesia and everyone else. Therefore I think that God isn't necessarily picking and choosing, but that rather Christ is speaking in humans terms so that we may understand.
The ones that turn to God are the ones that are Christ's, whom the Father gave Him. This is why He draws the distinction. It becomes more obvious as the prayer goes on that He is praying for those who are ready to obey Him: "...keep them through Your name. Those whom You gave me I have kept...I speak in the world, that they may have joy fulfilled in themselves (John 17: 12,13)."
Beloved, let us ponder this, that life does not consist in obedience simply because it is what God says. But rather the things that He requires of us are for our own life and joy. Let us pursue Christ, that we too may have joy fulfilled in ourselves.


Comments
Post a Comment